Gof tagged me in this on Facebook, and it turned into a bit of an essay, so I thought I’d post it here!
Ten games that have influenced, impacted me, or I’ve just enjoyed the hell out of.
1. Super Mario 3 (NES, Wii) was the first game I spent hours playing… After I wrestled the controller away from my mum! I still have it on my Wii, N cards still memorised!
2. Goldeneye (N64), my uncle hitchhiked from down south with the console and the game for our Christmas, and I used to stay up nights playing it over and over. I lost months playing that game!
3. Silent Hill (PS) was the first horror game I played, with my then boyfriend. We crapped it over and over, but again – couldn’t stop playing! Never had a more atmospheric and terrifying experience playing a game since.
4. Super Mario Kart (N64) was my first real experience playing with and against other people. Many a family night was spent trying to blow each other up, use dirty tactics and lie, cheat and steal our way to the top. Srs bsns. All clean family fun, complete with life lessons.
5. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (MD), I got into this a little later, being more of a NES girl, but I totally dug this game, frustratingly fast and hell mend you if you missed a save point because you were too busy showboating!
6. Tomb Raider (PS, PS2, Wii), talk about bloody frustrating! This was the first set of games that I played properly alone, no help – and I spent most of the time drowning poor Lara out of spite. The games always looked to be more than what they were capable of (what do you mean you can’t jump up there?!? Gah!) but the story lines were pretty solid.
7. Legend of Zelda (Gameboy, N64, Wii) I loved how sweet and cute this game was, even when it was trying to be dark. It was a nice way to lose the world for a while.
8. Heavy Rain (PS3). Oh man. Start off in a paradise, happily ever after already happened, and if you don’t sob your heart out in the first 10 minutes you have no soul. Fact. This game challenged me more than any other that even making what I thought were the right choices sometimes led to bad things. Not even trusting the characters you were playing helped me second guess everything.
9. Fallout (PS3) seriously, this game has instilled in me a (probably unrealistic) confidence that I will totally rock the nuclear apocalypse. I can drop into the Fallout ‘verse and spend days rooting through rubbish and shooting fiends and Deathclaws. And I’m obviously going to rule New Vegas come the time.
10. GTA (Gameboy, PS, PS2, PS3) no one series has consistently amazed me like this one has. From it’s humble beginnings as a series of squares depicting cars and streets, to the absolutely beautiful open world of San Andreas, this game grew up alongside me and never left me bored (we’ll ignore IV. Obviously). I can lose weeks in this game. It really speaks to who I am as an angry black man.
what’s your top 10 games? Let me know in the comments!